Section 2.1 The Performance Gap
After writing your dream eulogy in Section 1, you now need to identify where you’re headed currently. To do this, start by answering, What are you currently not doing in life but need to do in order to have people say the things you want to be said about you at your funeral?
This can be hard as it’s holding up the mirror of what we’re not being in life. It’s hard but it needs to be done. We must face reality and identify these cold hard truths if we want to become the person we’re capable of being!
Questions to identify your performance gap.
- What current actions are you taking that are preventing you from living your dream eulogy?
- What areas in your life are you not showing up in as the person you want to be?
- What do you appreciate about yourself and all you have done? What’s AWESOME now that wasn’t quite so awesome a year ago or 10 years ago? Start with that. We all have made progress in life. Remember that.
- What’s the #1 thing that you just know you could be doing—that you’re not doing right now—that if you did it would most change your life?
- What could you have achieved in the past if you had taken action?
- Then answer: how can I achieve more in the future? If you take some time to really think through question number one, you’ll probably have a clue as to what you need to do in the future.
- Do you need to focus more? Do you need to be more disciplined? Do you need to work smarter instead of harder? Do you need to say ‘no’ more often? Do you need to manage your time better? Do you need to take on more challenges?